Monday, April 4, 2011

I am what I am and what I am needs no excuses

A diamond with a flaw is better than a common stone that is perfect. ~ Chinese Proverb

One of my favourite songs is a song that is quite a hit on the drag queen circuit.  I am What I am.  It is up there with "I will survive" or "I am Woman" as far as anthems go.  I love it.  A real love me love my dog kind of song.

Just read those lyrics, better youtube the Shirley Bassey version.  It is heaps better than the Gloria Gaynor version which is good too.  This song is about you being your best version of yourself and to heck with the rest of the world.

This song has definitely been added to the soundtrack of my life.  I will not apologise or hide or cringe.  I will live my life the way I want and to hell with anyone who takes issue.  It does not mean I will be badly behaved, or hurtful or malicious.  It just means as the name of my blog states this is me warts and all.

So come on lets all get out our hairbrushes and jump on our beds and have a one woman show and sing it out loud and proud.



Shirley Bassey I am What I am Lyrics:
I am what I am
I am my own special creation
So come take a look
Give me the hook or the ovation
It's my world that I want to
have a little pride in
My world and it's not a
place I have to hide in
Life's not worth a damn till you can say
Hey world I am what I am
I am what I am
I don't want praise
I don't want pity
I bang my own drum
Some think it's noise
I think it's pretty
And so what if I love each
feather and each spangle
Why not try and see things
from a different angle
Your life is a sham till you can say
Hey world I am what I am

I am what I am
And what I am needs no excuses
I deal my own deck
Sometimes the ace
Sometimes the deuces
It's my life and there's no
return and no deposit
One life, so it's time to
open up your closet
Life's not worth a damn till you can say
Hey world I am what I am


Hope you had as much fun as I did.  This life is all about the width of our journey not the length.
Take care,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment