Monday, April 18, 2011

30 Day Photo Challenge Day 20

A picture of somewhere you would like to travel


Many years ago, I read a book. It was a collection of letters and diary entries from pioneering women who had travelled the Oregon Trail.  They were stoic, and often filled with tragedy.  These modest proprietary woman had to endure unbelievable hardship.  They were often not given any say in the matter. They simply had to follow their husbands.  They left behind grown children, parents, siblings and friends.  They gave birth and buried not only their children but often their husbands on this trail.

There are still wagon wheel ruts scarring the land.


And many unmarked and some marked graves.


This is something I would love to do.  Travel their route and again read that book.  Unlike these women, I will be doing it by choice.  I will be travelling by a vehicle they would consider wonderous and rather than sleep beside camp fires shivering from cold and fear I will be sleeping in a bed.  But I will always think of these brave courageous women.

No comments:

Post a Comment