Saturday, March 12, 2011

Why are there so many songs about rainbows?



This sweet naive song has today been by lifeline.  I think for a couple of reasons.

Reason 1.  My whole family loved the Muppets.  We watched the Muppets together, we laughed together and we enjoyed the pure naivety of the brilliant Jim Henson.

Reason 2. We also absolutely loved the Muppet Movie.  The first one.  It was fabulous.  We still quote each other from that movie and hold our bellies while we laugh so hard that our bellies ache and ache.

Reason 3. My sister and I as children particularly loved this song.  We sang it over and over again.  We took it in turns, we la de da doo'd with Kermit and we were happy.

Those are the nostalgic reasons I love this song.  So, it is enough that I shed tears just remembering and those tears are joyful tears.

Reason 4. Listen to the lyrics.  They are so simply optimistic and full of naive yearning.

Written by Paul Williams and used by Kermit the Frog, of The Muppets, Jim Henson Productions
Why are there so many songs about rainbows
And what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
And rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we've been told and some choose to believe it
I know they're wrong, wait and see.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Who said that every wish would be heard and answered
when wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that
and someone believed it,
and look what it's done so far.
What's so amazing that keeps us stargazing?
And what do we think we might see?
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
the lovers, the dreamers and me.

All of us under its spell,
we know that it's probably magic....

Have you been half asleep
and have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name.
Is this the sweet sound that calls the young sailors?
The voice might be one and the same.
I've heard it too many times to ignore it.
It's something that I'm supposed to be.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
the lovers, the dreamers and me.
La, la la, La, la la la, La Laa, la la, La, La la laaaaaaa




This song is so full of promise.  It called to me today and I have played it over and over again and I want to be full of promise too. I know that wishing on stars and thinking of rainbows is something we have all done as children but also adults.  I have lost that promise.

So I cried also, because this sweet sweet song reminded me that my emptiness is my loss of promise and optimism.  My loss of belief.  The belief that I could wish on the morning star and perhaps find the rainbow connection.  No matter how silly and childish it sounds deep down we all do it and believe it.

So Kermie my charming handsome frog.  You have given me much solace today.  And I know you know me too.  You sing it's not easy being green.  I sing it's not easy being me.  But one day we'll find it, that rainbow connection the lovers, the dreamers and ME.

Dearest Friends, have been thinking about you all today and the joy you have given me, the support, the strength and sometimes the plain right to just be me.
Take care
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment