Wednesday, March 30, 2011

30 Day Photo Challenge Day 2

A picture of yourself and the person you have been closest with the longest.

I have thought long and hard about what picture to choose for this challenge.  My obvious choice is my Mum as she carried me for nine months and then of course has been there from day one.  She is a friend too.  I could also choose my sister.  Although younger then me (damn I hate admitting that) we are also close.  Instead I have gone with the person who has been my bestie since we met in Grade 1 at school.


Here we are probably about 8 or 9.  She is the brunette and I am the blonde.  Our hair colour was always so convenient when we wanted to perform Abba concerts.  Funny my Mum is also in this photo the hot chic in the pink shoestring top.  The other hot chic on the other side is my friend's Aunt.  We thought she was so cool.  We were at a Christmas Carols night.  Look how young and innocent we were.  We are lucky that we both grew up in a loving, stable family environment.   When we were 10 we were wrenched apart.  Yes it was that painful.  Her family moved interstate.  But full credit to us, we maintained our friendship through letters, begged for and closely times long distance phone calls (back then they were very expensive) and the odd interstate flight to visit each other.  By the time we were about 13 my family began to also holiday at the same place as her family.  So we have awesome memories of long hot summer days spent on the beach or in the pool or just watching the cricket during lovely snoozy heat filled afternoons.

We celebrated our 18ths with each other, we travelled overseas together, we did a Thelma and Louise road trip along Great Ocean Road, we have been there for each other through some incredible lows and awesome highs.  She is as much a part of my life as my Mum or my sister.  And because we are not family but friends by choice is the reason I have picked her for today's challenge.  Our history, our memories, our regard for each other is something that can never be measured.  Can never be replaced. And will always be a source of continuing comfort for me.

To L thanks for the cool times, thanks for the red letter couch days, the awesomely achieved hang overs (which were fun to get but so awful to recover from) and the comfortable companionship of hanging out knowing you can veg out on the couch on not speak for hours and feel like we are having fun.

She has just become a Mummy for the first time.  Her baby is beautiful and gorgeous and will be so well loved.  I know she will rock as a Mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment