Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my Father. Prepare to die.

Don't you just love Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride.  He is relentless.  He is on a quest and no man, mountain or river will stop him.  Aside from that, The Princess Bride is also simply a great movie.  I just wanted to talk about making a difference.  And that yes one person can make a difference.

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito. ~ Betty Reese

To me making a difference is not about the end result.  Just ask anyone who has climbed Mt Everest. They would say they did not think about the distance, the lack of air, the risk.  They thought about taking one step after another.  For me making a difference is person by person talking about autism awareness.  What it is. How it affects families, what you can do to help.  You might ask, do I tire of this, do I think I make a difference.  Yes I tire of it all the time.  Do I think I make a difference?  I don't really know but I will keep on keeping on.

As unwell as I am at the moment, I am waiting on a friend to pick me up from the psychiatric hospital where I am currently an inpatient.  I will be driven to my Mum's where with my autistic son, I will be interviewed and photographed all in aid of autism awareness and Autism Qld's Dress Different Day.

I don't do this for the glory, I don't do this for recognition, I don't care whether it is my photo or someone else's photo as long as there is a photo in the paper.  Advocating is something you must be consistent with and selfless about.  You must also be very very passionate.  So despite, my illness, my passion is allowing me the strength to get out there and have my say.

If you think I harp on about having your say then don't read my blog.  I will continue forever and a day to be outspoken about my beliefs.  "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"~Martin Luther King.

I spend a lot of time emailing politicians, sending letters to columnists who I respect (hoping they will take up my cause).  They must get sick of hearing from me.  But one day, they will read something I write and they will take up the baton and run with it.


If nobody every fought for what they believed in we would all still be living in the dark ages. Seriously, there would have been no uprisings, no revolutions, no unions to fight for better employee conditions.  We have a responsibility as individuals and as united voices to take up the baton and fight for what we are passionate about.  One person at a time can and will make a difference.  It will not be quick and it will not be easy but it will be worthwhile.


The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

[info][add][mail]
George Bernard Shaw


While I do not wish to be unreasonable, I will adapt the world to bring about change.  I will be gracious, honest, maybe a tad annoying but I will also do it with dignity and integrity.

Are you passionate about something, do you want to make a difference.  Guess what you can.  Just tell one person and ask that person to tell one person and you have made a difference.

There are so many wonderful quotes that can and do inspire me. Another one of my favourites is

You must be the change you want to see in the world.

[info][add][mail]
Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)


Live your life so you can sleep soundly at night.  Live as you expect your children to live.

Take care, I hope you are all going well and I am so grateful for your continued support.
Laura




No comments:

Post a Comment