Friday, March 4, 2011

Ego is not a dirty word


Skyhooks are just a tad too early for me to have had to choose between them and Sherbet.  From what I understand under no circumstances could you like both.  It was either one or the other and never the two shall meet.  I do remember them though and I remember this song "Ego is Not a Dirty Word".  I will share some of the lyrics shortly but far out.  This song is not only from the early seventies but also from an Aussie band.

Us Aussies are the most self deprecating of all.  You are not allowed to love yourself.  No way.  I remember at high school that if you displayed an iota of self confidence you were so far up yourself you needed a street directory to find your way out.  We all thought it, some said it.  That tall poppy syndrome - something only us Aussies inflicted on anyone who showed any talent or innovation.

It is little wonder that many of us have low self-esteem and no idea how to be our own friend.  We are great at listening to our friends, helping them out, dishing out advice when asked, taking time out to be there for them.  But you would never dare to stop and think that you too deserve this same treatment.  I mean really who are you to ask for help, who are you to ask for advice, how dare you not cope - not manage - fall apart.  What a freaking double standard.  And this is a freaking double standard most of us impose on ourselves.  From now on I will no longer be a martyr and suffer in silence.  I will listen to myself and be my own friend.
 Anyway, back to those lyrics.
Verse 1:
If I did not have an ego I would not be here tonight 
If I did not have an ego I might not think that I was right 
If you did not have an ego you might not care the way you dressed 
If you did not have an ego you'd just be like the rest 




Verse 3:
Some people keep their egos in a bottom drawer
A fridge full of Leonard Cohen
Have to get drunk just to walk out the door
Stay drunk to keep on goin'
So if you got an ego
You better keep it in good shape
Exercise it daily
And get it down on tape 



Pretty powerful stuff hey.  The chorus is simply Ego is not a dirty word, don't you believe what you've seen or heard.


I know for me I have a life long habit of self-loathing and negative head talk to change.  This is a habit that will be hard to shift and change.  But I am going to.  I am going to first pretend.  Pretend I have an ego, pretend I am a good friend to myself, act it out and then perhaps start believing.  I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.  Confucius


I will never let myself hate myself again.  I am going to work at loving myself.  I will continue to write my blog to help me.  I will seek to inspire and encourage empowerment.  I will remind myself of these things on a daily basis.  If you too need to hear this on a daily basis then copy and paste this to your desktop to remind yourself.

Now between you and me - maybe today I can leave my bedroom where I have been hiding and venture out for the first time since Monday's shaky visit to my kids' school.  I will be the little red caboose that could.

Take care and remember a good friend sees the first tear, catches the second and stops the third. We can all do this not just for our friends but for ourselves.
Laura
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment