Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Tiptoe Through the Tulips

You know how they say there is a fine line between genius and insanity.  Well I reckon that line is called Tiptoe through the Tulips.  We all love Tulips they really are beautiful.  I carried them on my wedding day. Beautiful red tulips which in the Language of Flowers means a declaration of love.



Now the song Tiptoe Through the Tulips is not a song I am familiar with.  I read that it was a popular song originally published in 1926 but was revived again in 1967 and then again in 1968.  I do not know the lyrics but I am sure if I heard it on the radio I would say 'oh of course that is how it goes'.

But to me just the title is enough to visualise people cavorting through a field of tulips in a crazed semi-lucid waltz wearing togas and adorned with laurel leaves.  So what is my point?  My point is this.  People who suffer mental illnesses are not necessarily crazy.  There are many different types of mental illness - Anxiety Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Depression, Eating Disorders, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and many more which you can read about here for more information.

My diagnosis is Depression.  I do have high anxiety, mild paranoia and slight OCD tendencies but that is just part of my overall Depression.  My mental illness does not mean I don a Tiara and dress up as a fairy and tiptoe through the tulips.  In fact, quite the opposite I am very withdrawn and isolated from life.  Some people with mental health disease may have lost their grasp on reality. How this presents in them is something I will not and can not say.  A. because nobody should ever be denigrated for their illnesses and B.  I am not a professional in the mental health field.

Hands up who loves Carl Barron?  He is an Aussie comedian who is a bit of a larrikin.  He is cheeky in a lovable naughty little boy kind of way.  He is also very talented and extremely funny.  One of my favourite quotes from him is - "I saw a bloke the other day talking to himself. So I tried to listen but I couldn't hear him. But the weird part is while I was watching him I was going "That bloke's bloody talkin' to himself over there." There's another bloke looking at me going "That bloke's bloody talkin' to himself over there."


If you want more - I highly recommend catching him live or hiring one or all of his dvd's.  They will make you laugh til your belly aches.


What, I am trying to say here is this JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE HAVE A MENTAL ILLNESS DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE CRAZY.  It means they are suffering.  It means they have been strong for too long.  We are not less worthy of respect.  We are not violent and generally not incompetent. We do not need to be ridiculed or feared.  We don't need to be discriminated against.   We don't want to be treated differently.  All we want is acceptance, kindness and support.  This is nothing more then any other person wants and what all people need.


Is there a fine line between genius and insanity.  Who am I to say. I am neither a genius or insane.  I am a daughter, sister, friend, wife, mother, aunt, cousin, niece, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, volunteer, community member, Australian, and many more labels.  I have blonde hair, green eyes, am overweight (I know that sucks big hairy balls).  When I am well I have a wicked sense of humour and am fun to be around.  Even unwell I can laugh at myself.  I love helping others.  I am told by my psychiatrist I do this to the detriment of myself.  I need to start helping myself as much as I help others.  All of these things makes me unique but also confirms I am human.  I make mistakes, my feelings get hurt, I cry and laugh and yes while being uniquely me I am also exactly the same as everyone else.  I need love, kindness, acceptance and support.




There is no need to feel uncomfortable about mental illness.  More people then you realise suffer it.  The reason you don't know this is most will never talk about it.  They are scared about your reaction.  Fortunately I have always been outspoken and have always been an advocate for what I believe is right so I will never be quiet about my own mental illness.  If this makes you uncomfortable, guess what?  That is your problem not mine.


There are many famous people who openly admit their battle with mental illness.  Daniel Johns, Natalie Imbruglia, Pat Cash, Hugh Laurie, Robbie Williams, Spike Milligan and many many more.  If you want to know more about Mental Illness please go here  to Sane Australia which is a national charity working for a better life for people affected by mental illness.


If you don't want to read and know more, that is ok.  If you find it a struggle to deal with mental illness in others that too is ok.  BUT, do not ever belittle or laugh at others for what they suffer.  If you can't deal with it remain silent as that in its own way is kindness.


Take care, life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're here we should dance (or tiptoe through the tulips lol)
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment