Sunday, May 1, 2011

Say what you mean and mean what you say

For many reasons, this is something I try very hard to maintain.  One of the major reasons is because my autistic son is literal.  You tell him it is raining cats and dogs and watch his reaction.  He would race to the window looking with determination for the cats and dogs which should be pouring from the sky.  Naughty me once told him (after he swallowed one of his baby teeth) it would come out in his poo and bite him on the bum. Well, his hands reached around and protectively covered his buttocks whilst he cried in fear.  I forgot you see.  I meant it to be funny not terrifying.

We all are guilty for not saying what we mean and meaning what we say.  We have all tactfully lied about someone's tragic haircut or even more tragic fashion faux pas.  And sometimes, we are very awkward in moments where heartfelt sentiment is required.

Texting, email and social networks like facebook have made it all too easy to lash out without thinking.  The problem is once written it is there forever.  I have been guilty of this.  In future, I will never commit something on paper or via the internet that I am not prepared to say face to face.

Just as I abhor backstabbing I abhor Jerry Springer style commentary.  Sadly, much of our communicating is no longer face to face, thus we tend to lash out more readily than if we were speaking on the telephone or face to face.

It is very easy to get emotional and text, email or facebook something we will regret at a later stage.  Being gracious and dignified comes easy to some and I admire a couple of my friends for this.  They are my rocks and have always been honest sometimes painfully honest.  But, this is why they are my friends.  They give me guidance and remind me of the bar that we set that I have sometimes fallen from.

Rather than feel bad I want them to know I am proud of them.  They help me through situations where I sometimes lose my moral temperature.  I need this help a lot at the moment.  I fear I call on them too much.  Just know that from the bottom of my very large and still fragile heart I am eternally grateful and would hope that if the shoe was on the other foot (I know I am not being literal) I would be there for them.

You know who you are, you are my friends and always will be (I know too much about you lol).

No comments:

Post a Comment