Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Affirmation Day 18

And the night shall be filled with music,
And the cares that infest the day
Shall fold their tents like the Arabs
And as silently steal away.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, The Day Is Done


One thing I know for certain.  I have damn good taste in music.  Don't ask my Father to agree.  He thinks if ya don't like his music than it ain't music.  He likes some stuff I like but is very safe and conservative and narrow in his taste.  If it did not come out in the 60's than most likely it is not worth hearing.  I don't mind 60's it was a great decade but other decades definitely are as worthy of mention. 


How about the 70's for disco.  The late 70's for punk.  The 80's well what can I say THE 80'S rocked.  The 90's saw Seattle sound that glorious grunge from the likes of Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.   Which brings us into the 00's which is an eclectic mix of pop and some wonderful alternative sounds as well.


As well as mainstream music I enjoy, new age, classical, opera and even a bit of country.  I like a bit of folk and blues as well.  My taste is as diverse as there is music genres.  My collection as colourful as a glorious rainbow emerging from a stormy rainfilled day.


Music really is balm for my soul.  I love it to cheer me up, to match my dark mood, or just as background noise.  But when a song resonates it rips my heart apart and tosses it on the floor stomps on it, lovingly picks it up, folding and repairing and placing back in my chest.  Someone said music is what feelings sound like and I could not agree more.


Music has helped me manage my feelings over the past few months.  Firstly it helped me just to feel again.  I was numb and had no feeling at all.  Than all of a sudden I was listening to Paul Kelly and balling my eyes out.  I kept exploring this and this resulted in me spending many hours downloading my complete cd collection onto itunes.  I now have something like 11.2 days non-stop playing time.  Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment