Sunday, October 2, 2011

Did you know that

One in five people will experience mental illness in their lifetime according to our current Mental Health Minister Kevin Humphries.  He asked the public to step up the fight against the stigma and discrimination that surrounds mental health during Mental Health Month.  This is my aim.  Person by person, word by word and post by post.  I write not just for me but for everyone.

Apparently despite the fact that 20% of the population suffer from some form of mental illness there is still a reluctance to acknowledge the extent and impact of mental illness.  Mr Humphries says "The reality of mental illness is that it can affect anyone at any time and when it does it has the potential to significantly impact people's lives.

Lets all try and use Mental Health Month to not just break down the stigma and discrimination that sufferers face but also to champion and work to remove the prejudice which is a major barrier to recovery.  I  can personally attest to this, having faced narrow minded judgemental criticism from people who seek to make themselves more important and impressive by belittling others who may not have the strength to stand up and be a voice for themselves.



I am fighting a personal battle and I will win it.  I will take no prisoners but I will attempt to help others along the way.  You are either with me or not.  If you are not that is fine.  Once again as I ask in many of my posts if you can't be kind be silent.  It is simply so very easy.

1 comment: