Friday, October 7, 2011

Everyone is extraordinary in their own right


It is so easy to get lost and forget that you as a person are worthy and worthwhile.  This past year I have lost my way.  I forgot I am awesome.  I forgot I meant something to not just someone but lots of someones.  I am starting to get my mojo back and in the spirit of this post I plan to write about some of the amazing things I have done.  This is not to show off but to remind me I can do it and am someone worth knowing.

When I was 30 I travelled overseas and lived in London for six months.  It was not about the destination, it was more running away.  I did not want to turn 30.  I felt I was stuck in a rut and heading OS was the best thing I could have done for myself.  Living in London was certainly an amazing adventure.  I was there for the Summer and it was one stinker of a Summer that year.  I scored a job with London Transport which comes with the best benefit; free tube and bus travel.  You see, travel on the tube and bus network is quite expensive, so I really was a very lucky girl.  The job too was a great job.  There is no way I would have landed such a job in Brisbane.  It was working on change management and communicating that change to the rank and file employees and then measuring and evaluating the feedback.

This involved several events and one event was at the Barbicon which is like the Cultural Centre here in Brisbane.  This one, was for the top 600 management from London Transport.  All the directors and managers.  And, I publicly addressed them.  It was one of the scariest and most amazing things I have done.  While working on this project, the Deputy Prime Minister at the time was also very involved and Tony Blair even visited our building - I very nearly rubbed shoulders with him.  The project I was involved with was quite often front page news in all the print media.  I still have some of those newspapers now.

It's true you can't make them crack a smile.

Probably the most very amazing of amazing things is that I have given birth twice.  The first time was pretty scary as any new Mother would agree and I had heaps of intervention but the second time I did it totally drug free.  And while I agree this is not for everyone it is something I am very proud of.

I have received an award from the Governor (at Government House in all it's pomp and splendour) for volunteer services to Autism Qld.  From the time Clay was diagnosed to about a year ago I was a very outspoken advocate for autism awareness.  I still am a passionate advocate but this past year I have lost my voice.  Just recently, I have found it again.  Watch out world.

When I was last in the work place, at the height of my career, I managed over 80 staff.  I was responsible for hiring, inducting, training, counselling, performance and where necessary firing.  Managing people is probably one of the toughest things you can do in the work place.   I know I am capable but I no longer have the drive for this.

I am a daughter, sister, wife and mum.  I love my family.  They mean everything to me and they are my number one priority always.

Lastly, I am a good friend.  I know I am loyal, thoughtful, devoted and caring.  I used to be a tonne of fun and I do plan on finding that zany character again one day soon.

So, I hope the world is ready for the re-launch of Laura, the one I have written about, the one I used to be.  I am coming back, I am taking no prisoners and I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment