Friday, October 14, 2011

Worried Much?

You know what, it is little wonder we worry.  I have just started reading The Happiness Trap by Dr Russ Harris MD.

A very dear friend lent this to me months ago and I had forgotten I had it.  Only up to page 13 and am already blown away by it.  It really makes so much sense. The following paragraph though not word for word does come from the book.

Back in the days of early human hunter-gatherer we only had four needs to survive: food, water, shelter and sex.  The only worry we had was "don't get killed". For us in the now, as life becomes more and more complicated our worries too have become much more complicated and with too many worries to keep tally.  Think about it in just one day you worry will your alarm clock go off, will you get the kids to school on time, get to work on time, get through your day, avoid a speeding ticket, wonder how you will pay your bills, fear of being rejected, getting cancer, what to cook for dinner and so many millions more.

It is little wonder people burn out, suffer anxiety and depression and simply can't cope.  Life is hard.  There is no easy answer and there is nothing we can do to reduce the worry load.

What we can do is look at how we think about this.  I am not going to dwell too much on this mainly because it is something I do so poorly.  I try to always practice what I preach you see.

Remember, if you are having a crap day and don't know why, just think, you are tired and over worrying so much.  Take a breath, make a cuppa and try to remember you are human and you are bound to make mistakes.  Avoidance is not the answer of course but time out is definitely something you need.

If you want to read more go to his website Act Mindfully very worth the investment of your time.

I am betting as I read more of this book I will have more to say, so stay tuned.
Laura

1 comment: