Monday, February 28, 2011

No statue has ever been erected to a critic

“Pay no attention to what the critics say;
no statue has ever been erected to a critic.”  
 

Jean Sibelius 
Finnish Composer

How good is that quote and so true.  But it is very hard to hear critical comments about yourself.  It is even harder when those critical comments are in your head.  Whether you are criticising yourself or imaging what critical comments people are saying.  Really; are any of us that clever and psychic we know what other people think.  And like Jean Sibelius states "Pay no attention to what the critics say; no statue has ever been erected to a critic."   So you know what feel free to be critical.  I will be positive. I will compliment, inspire, mentor and motivate. I will do this for myself and for others.

This morning I walked my children into school for the first time this year.  I was shaking in my manolo blahniks boots.  Will people look at me and think "oh there is that woman who was in that psychiatric hospital.  Is she going to go loopy on us now?  Fancy not being able to cope, she has no idea what problems are."


That was my headtalk this morning.  So the bottom lip started to quiver, tears welled in my eyes.  But I was holding my daughter's hand, I had to be brave.  It was hard.  It was so very hard.  My God, I have had a baby drug free, I have spoken in front 600 executives while working in London, I have argued with politicians, I have been an advocate for autism, I have done many many hard and courageous things.  But this morning was one of the hardest things I have ever done. 



Like that Cowardly Lion from "The Wizard of Oz" who said "Courage! What makes a king out of a slave? Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage! What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot? What have they got that I ain't got?"


John Wayne that eternally famous cowboy says "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway."  That was me today.  It was a small small thing for most people but for me it was a hard tough experience but I DID IT.  I did it and I will do it again and next time it will be easier.


So to quote my hero that Cowardly Lion "Put 'em up, put 'em up! Which one of you first? I'll fight you both together if you want. I'll fight you with one paw tied behind my back. I'll fight you standing on one foot. I'll fight you with my eyes closed... ohh, pullin' an axe on me, eh? Sneaking up on me, eh? Why, I'll... Ruff! "






So watch out fear I am onto you, I am all over you, I own you. Such big brave words hey?


Take care, and as Mahatma Ghandi says be the change you wish to see in the world. You want a good friend then be a good friend.  You want a peaceful life then be at peace.  You want acceptance then be accepting.  You want understanding then understand others.  You want compassion then empathise.   Never judge until you have walked 100 miles in that person's shoes.  These are not hard impossible tasks, but they must be altruistic. And yes, one person can truly make a difference.  Below is one of my most favourite stories about making a difference.  In fact no matter how many times I read it I get goose bumps.  Please read and pass it on.



While walking along a beach, an elderly gentleman saw someone in the distance leaning down, picking something up and throwing it into the ocean.
As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, picking up starfish one by one and tossing each one gently back into the water.
He came closer still and called out, "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"
The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."
The old man smiled, and said, "I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?"
To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."
Upon hearing this, the elderly observer commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"
The young man listened politely. Then he bent down, picked up another starfish, threw it into the back into the ocean past the breaking waves and said, "It made a difference for that one."
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
This story has been circulated around the web in many versions, usually with no mention of author. It is said to be paraphrased from "The Star Thrower" by Loren Eiseley, 1907 - 1977.





So lets you and I make a difference.  It can be small, it can be big just do it.


Laura
xx  

No comments:

Post a Comment